What kind of disasters need relief?
Natural disasters know no boundaries: every nation on every continent is subject to the forces of nature. Individuals affected by such disasters will always need both physical and emotional support.
Unfortunately, much of the world is also affected by man-made disasters, including war, terrorism, and gross human rights abuses. Also unfortunately, the reverberations of both natural and man-made disasters is often more severe in poor regions because of political instability and their lack of resources with which to address the disaster. To provide a rough idea of the different kind of emergencies and disasters are ongoing in 2005, consider this:
• Africa: Recent and current emergencies include both drought and floods, outbreaks of plague and cholera, general storm damage, and complex emergencies such as ongoing war and civil unrest, creating internal displacement, large numbers of refugees, abandoned or orphaned children, and human rights violations.
• Asia: countries affected by the tsunami continue to try to recover and face ongoing earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions and storms. Ongoing political turmoil in many countries, including Afghanistan, creates displacement and movement of populations that both undermine stability and create humanitarian strains.
• South America: earthquakes and storms are natural disasters that have huge impacts on large populations. While political stability in the region has improved, people still struggle, and disasters and emergencies can undo much of the progress that has been made by putting people in dire straits.
• Eastern and Central Europe: emerging economies continue to deal with nationalist conflicts and the after-effects of war. In the Americas, hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, mudslides, wildfires and severe winter weather kill and leave homeless thousands of people each year.
• The United States: also continues to grapple with the implications of the September 11, 2001 attacks and the potential for other man-made disasters.
As you can see, emergencies and disasters can hit anywhere, anytime. If for no other reason than that, it makes sense to think about how you can contribute to disaster relief and recovery efforts.
Charity Frequently Asked Questions
What services do animal charities provide?
What are modern animal shelters like?
What is the ASPCA's mission?
What services does the American Humane Society offer?
What should I consider before adopting or rescuing a pet?
What does the World Wildlife Fund do?
What are the dimensions of charity?
How does the charitable market differ by nation?
Why should I donate my money, time or goods?
How should I go about deciding which charities to support?
What do breast cancer charities do?
What are some high-profile breast cancer charities in the United States?
How can I support the fight against cancer?
How can I help stop the spread of HIV/AIDS?
What are some international service agencies I can support?
Why do nonprofit organizations have so many fundraising campaigns?
What do my donations to annual campaigns fund?
What is a capital campaign?
What is an endowment campaign?
What role do special events play in charities' fundraising activities?
Should I buy these new charity wristbands?
Are there objective bodies that report on charities' activities?
Do charities have to disclose their operating records?
Where can I find out more about how a charity operates?
How can I support children in the United States and around the world?
What are some organizations that provide services to children and families?
What is the digital divide?
Why does the digital divide matter?
Does the digital divide only affect people and the countries in which they live?
How can I help bridge the digital divide?
What is disaster relief?
Who participates in disaster relief and recovery efforts?
What are the phases of disaster relief and recovery?
What kind of disasters need relief?
What are the different ways to donate money to charitable organizations?
Do I have to give a large gift to make a difference?
Why should I donate blood?
Why should I become an organ donor?
How can I help sick kids?
Is my old cell phone something I can donate?
Can my old computer be used by schools or charitable organizations?
What is the best way to donate a computer?
What should I do when donating a computer?
What do environmental charities do?
What organizations promote conservation and environmental protection?
Are homeless charities meeting current needs or helping homeless people become self-sufficient?
What does the National Coalition for the Homeless focus on?
How does America's Second Harvest address hunger and homelessness in the United States?
How does the Enterprise Foundation support community development and fight homelessness?
How can I help combat homelessness?
What are some organizations that are involved in international relief programs and efforts?
What does the term "nonprofit organization" refer to?
How can I plan to support my favorite causes through a bequest?
What are the tax implications of making a bequest?
Where can I get more information about planned giving?
How can corporations contribute to charitable causes?
What are the tax benefits of corporate giving?
Why should companies donate to charity and community causes?
What should I look out for when deciding to which charities to give?
What can I give to charitable causes?
How can I get involved without spending a lot of money?
How to I get to know the organizations I am considering supporting?
How to I teach philanthropy to my children?
What is philanthropy?
What are some smart things to do as I plan my charitable giving?
What is substance abuse?
How can we help prevent and reduce substance abuse in our communities?
How do charitable organizations help people with dependency issues and their families?
What are some organizations that provide substance abuse prevention and treatment services?
How can I help people with substance abuse issues?
What are missionaries?
How do I find a volunteer opportunity?
Are there volunteer opportunities that are not "in person" opportunities?
What role can online volunteers play?
How can I find an online volunteer opportunity?
Can I volunteer my technology skills?
What do I need to do to be a good volunteer?
What skills could I offer an organization?
How can I help charitable causes if I don't have a lot of money to donate?