What should I consider before adopting or rescuing a pet?
The decision to adopt a pet is a huge responsibility for you and your family. Animal shelters are likely to ask you a series of questions and even ask for documentation and references, but it still makes sense to give your lifestyle, your needs, and your intentions before you start the process. Things to consider include:
• Animals are a long-term commitment; this commitment can last 10-15 years for dogs and up to 20 years for a cat. Remember that this animal will be with you through many different times in your life.
• Animals do not adjust well to solitude, and long stretches of alone time can evolve into behavioral and emotional problems for pets. Think about whether you will be able to have a consistent, primary caretaker so that the pet's daily needs do not get lost in the shuffle of busy schedules.
• The responsibility of having a pet includes protecting his health and safety, and includes costs that extend beyond the adoption fee (including basic and emergency veterinary care, toys, supplies, food, etc.).
• Think about where you live and where you might live during your pet's lifetime: not every pet is right for your household, and your household might not be right for every pet.
• If you have allergies, or think you might have small children, or other life issues that would make you change your mind, strongly reconsider adopting. You will save yourself and a needy animal heartache in the long run.
• If you do decide to adopt, be a responsible owner: spay or neuter your pet; keep his vaccinations and heartworm medications up to date; take dogs to obedience training and learn about cat behavior; clean up after your pets, and spend time with them.
If you make the decision to adopt thoughtfully and carefully, and you are a responsible owner, pet adoption can be a very fulfilling experience and can yield many years of happy companionship. In addition your donation to an animal shelter will help save animals from the streets to get into happy homes.
Charity Frequently Asked Questions
What services do animal charities provide?
What are modern animal shelters like?
What is the ASPCA's mission?
What services does the American Humane Society offer?
What should I consider before adopting or rescuing a pet?
What does the World Wildlife Fund do?
What are the dimensions of charity?
How does the charitable market differ by nation?
Why should I donate my money, time or goods?
How should I go about deciding which charities to support?
What do breast cancer charities do?
What are some high-profile breast cancer charities in the United States?
How can I support the fight against cancer?
How can I help stop the spread of HIV/AIDS?
What are some international service agencies I can support?
Why do nonprofit organizations have so many fundraising campaigns?
What do my donations to annual campaigns fund?
What is a capital campaign?
What is an endowment campaign?
What role do special events play in charities' fundraising activities?
Should I buy these new charity wristbands?
Are there objective bodies that report on charities' activities?
Do charities have to disclose their operating records?
Where can I find out more about how a charity operates?
How can I support children in the United States and around the world?
What are some organizations that provide services to children and families?
What is the digital divide?
Why does the digital divide matter?
Does the digital divide only affect people and the countries in which they live?
How can I help bridge the digital divide?
What is disaster relief?
Who participates in disaster relief and recovery efforts?
What are the phases of disaster relief and recovery?
What kind of disasters need relief?
What are the different ways to donate money to charitable organizations?
Do I have to give a large gift to make a difference?
Why should I donate blood?
Why should I become an organ donor?
How can I help sick kids?
Is my old cell phone something I can donate?
Can my old computer be used by schools or charitable organizations?
What is the best way to donate a computer?
What should I do when donating a computer?
What do environmental charities do?
What organizations promote conservation and environmental protection?
Are homeless charities meeting current needs or helping homeless people become self-sufficient?
What does the National Coalition for the Homeless focus on?
How does America's Second Harvest address hunger and homelessness in the United States?
How does the Enterprise Foundation support community development and fight homelessness?
How can I help combat homelessness?
What are some organizations that are involved in international relief programs and efforts?
What does the term "nonprofit organization" refer to?
How can I plan to support my favorite causes through a bequest?
What are the tax implications of making a bequest?
Where can I get more information about planned giving?
How can corporations contribute to charitable causes?
What are the tax benefits of corporate giving?
Why should companies donate to charity and community causes?
What should I look out for when deciding to which charities to give?
What can I give to charitable causes?
How can I get involved without spending a lot of money?
How to I get to know the organizations I am considering supporting?
How to I teach philanthropy to my children?
What is philanthropy?
What are some smart things to do as I plan my charitable giving?
What is substance abuse?
How can we help prevent and reduce substance abuse in our communities?
How do charitable organizations help people with dependency issues and their families?
What are some organizations that provide substance abuse prevention and treatment services?
How can I help people with substance abuse issues?
What are missionaries?
How do I find a volunteer opportunity?
Are there volunteer opportunities that are not "in person" opportunities?
What role can online volunteers play?
How can I find an online volunteer opportunity?
Can I volunteer my technology skills?
What do I need to do to be a good volunteer?
What skills could I offer an organization?
How can I help charitable causes if I don't have a lot of money to donate?